MTOC cable tram trailer No 256
MTOC trailer No 256 newly restored at Hawthorn
depot, 8 April 2003. Photograph courtesy Mike Ryan, Department of
This vehicle was originally a standard eight-window single truck cable
tram trailer. During the later years of the horse tram operation at Royal
Park, one of these vehicles was converted over for use as a horse tram
until the line closed in 1923. This is believed to be the only such operation
of a eight-window horse tram used by the MTOC, as all other horse trams
were purpose built six window cars.
This tram was completely restored to original condition as a Toorak line
cable car for display with No 28, as part of a government funded employment
scheme. The restoration was completed in April 2003.
copyright © Russell
Jones 2001-3. Reproduced with permission.