> Our tramway heritage
> Motor vehicles
M&MTB AEC Regal Mark III No 537
This bus entered service with the M&MTB on 27 May 1953, one of a batch of 50 with bodies built by Martin & King and one of a total of 135 of this chassis design to join the Board between 1951 and 1954.
These were the last half-cab buses to be acquired by the M&MTB. The body design on all these buses was very similar, the major variation being the placement of the front passenger door. Many of the buses had this door placed close to the front bulkhead to enable one-man operation, the driver being easily able to collect fares. Subsequently the majority of this design variation was later shortened, seating as a result being reduced from 41 to 32 seats. In this form they were nicknamed bobtails. The reason for this modification was to enable their use as one-man buses, as an industrial relations case enforced two-man crews for buses with more than 32 seats.
However, No 537 was designed with the front door some distance from the drivers bulkhead, so it was always crewed by both a driver and a conductor. No 537 is in the livery in which it entered service tramways green with a silver roof and cream stripe.
Content copyright © Russell Jones 2001-5. Reproduced with permission.