> Our tramway heritage
> Motor vehicles
> Exhibition Goods Shed
Batman Avenue terminus and signal box
The Batman Avenue tram shelter was donated and transported to the Bylands site in knocked down condition in 1999, in order to clear the way for Federation Square construction works. Unfortunately, the funding supplied by the Governments Major Projects Unit would not extend to the re-erection of this historic structure at Bylands, which would require approximately $25,000 for completion by commercial contractors. The Society is currently seeking funding to enable its re-erection at Bylands.
It originally was located at the Batman Avenue terminus opposite Flinders Street Station that was used by Wattle Park (route 70) trams, and was also used by Burwood trams (route 74) prior to 1965 and Prahran trams (route 77) prior to abandonment of that service. It was placed out of service due to diversion of Batman Avenue services into Flinders Street as the result of the construction of Federation Square.
This shelter was constructed in 1923 by the Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board, and is of timber construction with a tile roof. It underwent a number of modifications and extensions during its lifetime.
Content copyright © Russell Jones 2001-3. Reproduced with permission.